Sunday, February 22, 2009

Well, looks like I'm dropping out of school

www.joyofbaking.com
www.tastespotting.com

Upon careful consideration of our true calling in life, Lora and I have decided to drop out of nursing to pursue a Bake-and-Blog Blog. I capitalize it as if the term actually exists, but that's debatable (but if it doesn't, it should). My dad has a giant sweet tooth and loves to bake, which has resulted in birthdays and Christmases of Kitchenaid mixers, blenders, rolling pins, and other random kitchen-y things most people don't want until they're wandering lost through bill-sonoma registering for their wedding. Once someone pointed to my canisters on my kitchen counter and said "I think my grandmother has those."
She must have fantastic taste.
I digress.
In the kitchen, I am my father's daughter. I love to bake, I want it to be perfect, and I'm kind of impatient. Not as impatient as he is. Last summer his impatience messed up the final step of my first tuxedo cake - see how allllll the ganache dripped all the way down to the plate? Thin and stringy? Let it cool ten minutes, no more no less, and pour. TEN minutes and pour. Around 8 minutes --> "Eh that seems good enough," and look what happened. Left to my own devices a few months later, I waited the full ten minutes
(But it was difficult)
Basically what I'm trying to say is that I own a really precious yellow Kitchenaid mixer, so I'm well-equipped to pursue this new career if the NCLEX doesn't work out in May. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment