Monday, March 7, 2011

Back to Square One?

IMG_3765.JPG.jpg

Remember this? My collection of pens and pamphlets from (what felt like) every hospital in Texas, and the nausea that came with the impending job search before graduation.

And you know what? That job search was pretty miserable. The size of the new-grad applicant pool was shocking, and I initially made the mistake of believing that the online applications I sent in were actually going to be read.

This time around, I'm no longer a new nurse, and I have some real skills to contribute. I'll find a job.

Right? (...right?)

Until today I had some confidence. "I'm not too worried about it," I've said. But now that I've actually started the process, I hate to say that the panicked feeling I remember from the last go-around is settling in already. I will send in my apps, do my best to speak to a real person from HR this week, and hopefully get an interview.

But I honestly don't feel like it's going to happen!  This isn't me trying to be humble or trying not to "jinx" myself, this is the (horrible) feeling I have in my heart of hearts. My only experience with job applications taught me, for the most part, that it doesn't matter how qualified you are, you aren't getting a job. You aren't even getting an interview! You. Are. A. Sucker.

Now I am trying to apply to a hospital across the country that I have absolutely no connection to or contacts in? Am I crazy?

I hope I wake up tomorrow with a different attitude, but for now, I'm just being honest.

That's why the blog is called RAWR.

2 comments:

  1. don't make me go old school dani on you. in fact, the last thing i'm worried about is you getting hired. i'm more worried about what you will do without me ;) ok maybe that's the other way around...

    but really, i don't know much about the nursing hiring system, but I do know people. and i do know there is some magic surrounding your being that makes others drawn to you...like they must have you. so just give them some of that qtkrit charm...and I know you'll be fine.

    did i mention im currently heavily medicated? :)

    love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i love you mama! i'm so sorry to hear you're sick :(
    i actually got a call from a nursing recruiter yesterday, and (after she calls me back with a time) i should be interviewing for the oncology unit next week. it's definitely a relief to get a call, though i am hoping to get some other interviews also just for the sake of comparison - not to mention interview doesn't = offer.
    thank you thank you thank you for all your support all the time, let me know when you're feelin better and if you need anything in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete